VENTE CAPE ORNITHOLOGICAL STATION
Ventė Cape ornithological station is located in Vente Cape (also known as Ventė Horn). It is a small peninsula in the eastern shore of the Curonian Lagoon. One of the biggest bird migration routes passes through Ventė Cape. Sometimes even 100-200 thousand birds fly through the area in one day; they return or depart with young birds to warm regions. Ventė Cape is an ideal place to catch and ring birds. Many birds are ringed in order to determine where they overwinter, how many years they live, their flying speed and where they fly as well as receive important information about the population of particular bird species, the structure and condition of their population. Therefore, this method of research is still the most popular and accessible. Nowadays, approximately 6 million birds are ringed each year (approximately 4 million birds in Europe only).
Mikas Posingis (1887 – 1951), who was the keeper of Vente Cape lighthouse in 1924 – 1944 and the first bird ringer, found a very suitable place for ornithology. He was in a close relationship with the researchers of Rasytė ornithological station; thus, he offered Tadas Ivanauskas (who was a famous naturalist) to start ringing birds in Vente Cape. (The first ornithological station in the world was opened in Rasyte village (20 kilometers to the south from Nida), which was located in the Curonian Spit, in 1901). Vente Cape ornithological station was opened in 1929, on the initiative of the professor T. Ivanauskas.
300 – 400 reports from various European, African, and Asian countries are received each year regarding the birds ringed in Ventė Cape. It is necessary to ring many small birds in order to gain more knowledge about their migration. For instance, if 10 thousand swallows are ringed, only 2 – 3 messages will be received from their winter places in Africa. There are much more reports about the detection of white storks. It is enough to ring 100 storks in order to receive 2-3 reports.
Ventė Cape ornithological station is being reconstructed for more than half of the year now. The price of the reconstruction is 10 million Litas.
“There is a plan to finish all the works until the summer of 2015. The ornithological station will change dramatically: a new two-storey building of 200 square meters will be built for the visitors. A modern computerized exhibition will be established there. In addition, another building with a warehouse and bird ringing facilities will be built as well. An observation tower, where people could climb up and look around the Curonian Lagoon, will be constructed in the visitors’ centre as well”, - says the director of the station Vytautas Jusys.
Coordinates: 55°20'28.1"N 21°11'25.3"E
Tel. No.: +37063890619